Hi, I’m Megan! I’m a wife, mother, and serial learner. In 2016, Hungry for Authenticity started as an outlet to write openly about my eating disorder journey. I struggled with anorexia, binge-eating, bulimia, and exercise addiction for about a decade. It has been a long road, but I now have a much healthier relationship with food, exercise, and my body. I wrote the occasional blog post, but I mainly set out to write a book helping women recover from eating disorders. The first draft of my book felt like something was off, but I didn’t exactly know why.
In 2018, I was introduced to Pastor Stephen Armstrong’s Verse by Verse Ministry International. He preaches verse-by-verse through God’s Word. It struck a hunger to learn more and change my life to reflect what I was learning. I found the more I consumed, the more I wanted to learn and grow. I’ve been a Christ-follower since second grade. But I never felt an intense desire to pursue Christ with my whole life until that year.
Thus, began my self-directed study of the Bible, theology, and apologetics. I earned a Graduate Certificate in Biblical Studies and a Certificate in Christian Apologetics along the way. I found I love tackling tough topics from a strictly biblical point of view. As I matured in my Christian faith, my writing content evolved. I scrapped the original draft of my eating disorder book which was full of self-help, motivational, superficial, unbiblical nonsense. Then, I tackled it from a biblical perspective.
In 2020, I self-published the eating disorder book. Then COVID hit, and I used my free time to write a resource about infertility. My husband and I had to navigate our way through the infertility process. It was tricky, so I wanted to create a resource to help other couples. We ended up growing our family through embryo adoption. I discuss IUI, IVF, and embryo adoption from a biblical worldview in the book. I self-published this book later that year.
In 2021, I submitted my book proposals to small Christian publishing companies to see if they could get picked up for traditional publishing. Wipf and Stock Publishers accepted my submissions, and I signed a contract. I took my self-published books offline and published the official copies in 2022!
In the end, though, my writing is simply me plugging away at my sanctification. It’s a way that I have matured in my understanding of theology and gained confidence in expressing my faith. I study and pray my way through one tough topic at a time, then I write about it. It’s not very popular, and it’s not really what my generation wants to hear. But, it’s a way in which I act obediently to God’s call. I have no clue why and what He plans to do with my writing, but my job is to be obedient, and He will sort out the rest.
Besides writing, I have many interests and a hectic personal life. However, I’m a pretty private person online, partly because I don’t enjoy my personal life being on social media. But also because I’m pretty sensitive, and the internet can be a harsh place. When people don’t share much online, sometimes it can come across as impersonal or not relatable or authentic. It’s a tricky balance in this virtual world. I want you to feel like you know me, which helps you understand my books and blog posts more, but I also want to have some privacy and things reserved for my personal life.
I want to share more with you, though, so hopefully this little snipbit will help you get to know me more.
- I’ve gotten pretty into CrossFit over the last couple of years. CrossFit has reframed how I view exercise and fitness. It is considered functional fitness in that it develops cardio and strength to help you increase your quality of life. I used to be obsessed about the thin and fit body type. Now, I’m more focused on keeping my body healthy and strong so I can have a high quality of life as I get older. I also love how quick and efficient the workouts are!
- In addition to CrossFit, I really enjoy baking, which sounds like an oxymoron. I really enjoy learning and practicing new baking skills. Plus, baking is a science and requires perfection, two things I really enjoy! I don’t tend to eat lots of desserts. But the ones I do eat, I like to be homemade. It makes me appreciate and enjoy the dessert more. As you likely guessed, I really enjoy the Great British Baking Show!
- I recently started a year-long fellowship through Wild Health (partners with CrossFit). This fellowship melds my nursing medical background (I have a Bachelors in Nursing and a Registered Nurse license) with my passion for a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Once I complete the program, I’ll be a Precision Care Health Coach. This new type of genomics-based personalized medicine is exciting to me, and I think it will become much more popular.
- I knew I would like being a mom, but I didn’t realize how much I would LOVE it! We adopted more embryos so we are praying that we can grow our family again this year!
- I am a military wife, so home is wherever my husband, daughter, and two Boston Terriers are stationed.